As writers, we all have real goals, like publish X amount of books a year or finish book three by next March. Things that are very tangible and very practical. I can rattle off a few of my real goals: I want to publish book three of the Ingenious Mechanical Devices series in a timely manner (aka within a year), start my fantasy series soon after or while working on book three, and to get my thesis proposal accepted in April.
Then, there are goals that are a little less… professional? I think we all have the secret desire that our books will be made into movies or that certain characters will be loved by all. Here are a few of my own silly goals:
- Have enough books out to make a charm bracelet of my covers. I currently have a bracelet with tiny versions of my favorite books, and one day I would like to have enough books out to make a bracelet of my covers. Currently, I only have two, so it would be a very sad bracelet if I made it now.
- Fan art. I love artwork of my characters. I have had several commissions done of Adam, Immanuel, Eilian, and Hadley, but I would love to get fan art from readers.
- Fan fiction. It’s the same idea as fan art. Some writers don’t like fan fiction, but if a reader writes about your characters, they care about them, and it shows that they are looking for more adventures from them.
- Mini series. Note: I did not say movie. It always seems that movies get it wrong, but mini series, like those on HBO, PBS, ITV, or BBC seem to do a pretty good job. My work probably is not racy enough for HBO or Starz, but I would be completely content with PBS or ITV.
- A theme song. This may seem odd, but I tend to make playlists in my head to go along with my books. Thus far, the best theme song I have heard that would work with the Ingenious Mechanical Devices series is Nightwish’s “The Last of the Wilds”
That’s about it I think. So do you have any “silly” goals for your writing?