Last year, I decided that I would post my accomplishments for the month and what goals I hope to achieve in the following month.
Somehow I didn’t expect to be so productive in May, yet I feel like I’ve walked away with a lot of writing and ideas to use in June.
What I accomplished in May:
- Wrote 17,000 words on Dead Magic (hit 39,000 total)
- Wrote 8 blog posts
- Read 2 books
- Write. Publish. Repeat. by Sean Platt and Johnny B. Truant
- The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
- Heavily researched for an Ingenious Mechanical Devices companion novella
- Began cover construction for Dead Magic
- Finished the audiobook for The Winter Garden to Audible’s specifications (should be out within the next week)
What I hope to achieve in June:
- Write at least 18,000 words of Dead Magic (for 57,000 total words)
- Write at least 6 blog posts
- Read at least 3 books
- Begin outlining and writing one of the IMD companion novellas
- Write the back blurb for Dead Magic
- Do a preliminary edit of chapters 1-10 of Dead Magic
I can’t believe I wrote 17k words this month. March and April were so slow in terms of my word count, but it seems that once the story hits the 1/3 mark, it just starts to roll. Laying the foundation is the slowest part, followed by the end when I need to make sure that I’ve tied everything up. I’m hoping that June will continue the trend of the productivity.
I’m so excited to be able to share some random excerpts of Dead Magic. Writing it has been a blast so far with lots of dark things, some gore, a bit of magic, and having to do a lot of research on trauma and PTSD (sorry, Immanuel). My artist boyfriend/cover designer/Photoshop guru will soon be working on the cover for Dead Magic as soon as I finish the back blurb and convince him to do it instead of working on his new design shop, Regal Rook designs. I’m sure I’ll be posting more on that in the future as well.
The one major thing that was sacrificed this month was my reading. I meant to finish Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater in May, but I was busy researching and writing and it ended up sitting on the sidelines. It’s a really good series despite how long it’s taking me to get through it.
On Tuesday in my post Plot Bunnies and Projects, I wrote about the companion novellas I’m planning to write over the summer. I haven’t really begun planning them out yet, but I hope to have at least one of them written (probably Judith Elliott’s first). I’m super stoked to work on them because I really love the ideas I have rolling around, so hopefully, they’ll come out as good on paper as they are in my head. I will be updating you as I write.
At the top of the page is a little newsletter sign-up thing. If you want to get exclusive excerpts, ARCs, and messages about new sales/deals, sign-up. I don’t send them out often, so you won’t need to worry about me blowing up your inbox.
So what are you working on this month?